Monday, February 14, 2011

Is Love Enough?

He steals food at night when you sleep, hiding it under his bed. At school he bites and kicks and pinches the other kids when they get near him. The school is close to kicking him out. At home he throws fits where he hurts those around him with his words and the objects he throws.

He tells you he wants his REAL mom back. He says he hates you and pushes you away.

You take him to countless therapists. You read all the books on adoption, attachment, and “difficult” children. You change his diet. You put him on medication. You pour out love until you wonder if it’s going to run out.

And you love and you love and you love… and then one day you realize it isn’t enough. It never will be.

This would be the end of the story. Except that Jesus died on a cross so that we could declare these children are NOT beyond saving. Jesus triumphed over death and he triumphed over the pain and hurt that traps these kids. He is the ultimate healer and because of his victory we can now run and take hold of it.

My love is not enough. Your love is not enough. They never will be.

BUT our Savior’s love is enough… enough today and every day.

Pain and hurt form a brick wall around these kids and try as hard you can you can’t get through. I was once naïve enough to believe my love could break it down. I was once naïve enough to believe all a hurt orphan needed was a loving home and eventually the healing would come.

I have had the privilege and painful experience of seeing these naïve ideas crushed to pieces. I have a very honest idea of what challenges could await me as an adoptive parent. Today I’m worried I’ll fail. I’m worried I’m not as strong as the parents I know who struggle through this.

But I CANNOT say no to this calling because all around the world there are children rocking back and forth in orphanages, flinching away from touch. If I say no out of my fear- if you say no out of your fear, they will remain there.

My love WON’T be enough… but I can bring my children to Jesus and I know his will be.

1 comment:

  1. This is my heart too Megan. I will be praying for the vision the Lord has given to you and even more for these children. Only Jesus can heal the broken heart and bind up the wounds that these children carry. I so love His heart shining through your words.

    ReplyDelete