Sunday, January 1, 2012

You're Gonna Miss This

There’s nothing like a good country song to bring you to tears while you’re speeding down 95.

I’m Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins did that to my today. The song goes through a girl’s life, when she’s in high school just aching to be an adult, when she’s a young married wife longing for children, when she’s an exhausted mother just wanting to sleep through the night. And through each of these life stages someone gently reminds her…

“You’re Gonna Miss this, you’re Gonna want this back
You’re gonna wish these days hadn’t gone by so fast
These are some good times, so take a good look around
You may not know it now, but you’re gonna miss this”

Such truth. Because no matter what stage of life we are in, there are always gifts that we need to just soak in. Most days I wish I was leaving for Uganda tomorrow, but in that car with this song playing and tears rolling I realized…

I’m gonna miss my brother’s goofy grin

I’m gonna miss the way my sister leaps into your arms after a long day

I’m gonna miss my baby sister’s sweet baby scent

I’m gonna miss creating crazy weird science experiments with my cousin

I’m gonna miss laughing and being with friends and family

I’m gonna miss comfy beds where you can snuggle under layers of covers

I’m gonna miss fall leaves and cold snowy Christmases

I’m gonna miss driving along smooth roads with the radio blaring music I actually like

I’m gonna miss all this food

I’m gonna miss getting crazy lost in DC but knowing my dad is only a phone call away to help me find my way

I’m gonna miss this. I’m gonna want it back… and I’m definitely going to wish it hadn’t all gone by so fast. I have a year and a half to soak all this up. To fill my memories up with baby scents and goofy grins and preschool hugs and crazy science experiments. And if I spend that year and a half wishing I was somewhere else I’m going to miss out on all of it. So here’s to living in the moment. For stopping and seeing what gifts God has for you in the here and now.

Because you may not know it now… but you’re gonna miss this.

No comments:

Post a Comment